Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Review: Siggi's Yogurt- Orange & Ginger


  • I Paid: 2.99 at Balducci's
  • Description: Icelandic style skyr strained non-fat yogurt; Grade A; 0% milkfat

As pretty much anyone reading this knows, I am a sucker for packaging. If it looks cute/fun/even remotely interesting, I will probably buy it just for the sake of it. Case in point, the siggi's yogurt pictured above. I saw it perched on the Balducci's shelf, with a thick paper wrapping and ignorance of capitalization, and thought "So cute! Let me try one"... sighhhhhh. The packaging does have some purpose in addition to looking all cute and fancy artisanal-ish... the paper wrapping comes off, so that the paper and the plastic is recycled separately. Also, there's more product information on the inside of the paper sleeve.

Now, onto the taste. Not surprisingly for a skyr-type yogurt, it's really thick. Like buttercream frosting thick. Like I could hold the cup upside down over my head and nothing would happen thick. The Orange & Ginger flavors were both well represented in the yogurt, with the orange flavor being incorporated into the yogurt, and the tiny pieces of candied ginger mixed throughout. It's definitely not for people that only enjoy the more "dessert-y" flavors of yogurt, like the Yoplait line as an example. It's sweetness is all-natural, so it's not very prominent in this yogurt.

Final verdict? I'd definitely like to try out some other flavors of this yogurt. I wouldn't get it all the time, not just because of the price, but because the thickness can be a little off-putting after a while. If you are a fan of Fage or other greek-style yogurts, you will probably like the siggi's yogurt as well.

1 comment:

  1. Looks good. I don't think I've seen these at Wegmans though...

    ReplyDelete