Thursday, September 17, 2009

Recipe: Cobb Salad Dip

Mise en place.

Cobb salad is one of my favorite dishes, and this CHOW recipe for a Cobb Salad dip sounded right up my alley. I decided to add chopped tomatoes to the recipe for some extra color, but otherwise I followed it as is.

I was a little annoyed at the idea of buying a pack of bacon just for this recipe- I like bacon, but I don't really eat full breakfasts at home, so it would essentially go to waste after I made this. I got a really helpful tip from an unlikely source- a vegetarian co-worker, haha. He suggested that I go to the salad bar at a supermarket and buy cooked/crumbled bacon from there, rather than buying a pack of bacon just for this. Perfect! I also noticed that they had blue cheese and a variety of other toppings also- good to know for any future recipes that require just a little bit of something I don't often use.


Mmm.. Salad Bar Bacon-y.

I brought this over to S & K's for the Steelers opening game party, and unfortunately the transit time affected this dip a little. The dip got a little runny by the time I brought it over- the taste wasn't affected, but the blue cheese/sour cream sorta mixed too much by that point, I guess. Overall though I like the flavors and it's definitely something new- it really does taste like Cobb salad, in dip form. Good for parties or football games for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment