Thursday, October 22, 2009

Recipe: Penne with Creamy Pumpkin Sauce



Mise en place.


Continuing on with my quest of Pumpkin Everything, I decided to try out a savory (aka not baking something) route for the next recipe.  E referred me to this Penne with Creamy Pumpkin Sauce recipe from Martha Stewart's Everyday Food.  I made a few changes: 1) No fresh rosemary (too lazy to buy); and 2) Subbed in skim milk for the half-and-half (thought it might be healthier, plus, too lazy to buy).   


 

Cheesy and Pumpkiny.

This recipe was v. simple and didn't take long at all to complete.  Martha isn't kidding about adding salt at the end- if you don't, this will be a bland bowl of blahhh, considering pumpkin puree really doesn't have much of a strong flavor on its own.  The texture was similar to a light mac n' cheese, and probably would be even closer to a mac n' cheese if I had used the half-and-half.  This would make a great side dish to a roasted protein, even a great new item to add to the Thanksgiving table.      

1 comment:

  1. I made this tonight. I loved the way it looked. Very home-y/fall. Brian did not like it at all. He just didn't eat it. I sort of liked it, but if I were going to make it again, I would use half the amount of white wine vinegar. I didn't like that flavor.

    ReplyDelete