Thursday, November 12, 2009

My 1st Cakewreck Sighting


Nothing says "G.I. Joe" quite like sparkles everywhere.

I never know what I'm going to "discover" at Wegmans, be it pretzel rolls, new kinds of hummus, Ultimate White Cake, etc.  This past trip to Wegmans also brought me something super exciting, in the form of MY FIRST REAL-LIFE CAKEWRECK SIGHTING.

In case you haven't seen it before, Cakewrecks is a hilarious blog that pretty much involves really horrible-looking professional cakes, most of which we can only assume are unintentionally hysterical.  This cake (above) from the Wegmans prepared cakes section stopped S and I dead in our tracks, initially due to its neon ugliness.  This has a number of Cakewreck checkpoints on it, including:

1) The edible paper screenprint (for a movie no one saw)  = lazy cakemaker's dream.
2) The random blob-technique of airbrushing multiple colors around the edges..Camo?  Sorta?
3) Scattered glitter everywhere.

But what really takes the cake (I'm so pun-tastic) is that upon closer inspection, it's apparent that there was a message already inscribed with red frosting on the cake.  Then the cakemaker decided to "erase" the message by spreading insane amounts of glitter all over the message, along the top and bottom of the edible paper.  To top it all off this monstrosity was priced at just under $30.00.  WHO WOULD BUY THIS?!  I mean except maybe me, if it was $5 and any of my friends' birthday was coming up, haha. 

Wegmans, I know your cake department can (and normally does) do better than this.  That being said, if anyone was going to bring me the joy of my first Cakewreck sighting, I'm glad it was you.

1 comment: