Friday, November 13, 2009

Restaurant Review: Firefly, DC

Last week N and I met up at Firefly for dinner- I hadn't been here in a while, and she had never been, so it was good timing all around to go there.  I got a cocktail which I can't recall the name of, and unfortunately isn't listed on their online menu- but it was refreshing and fruity.  It was also sort of redonkulous at $12.50, but I guess that's the going rate for drinks that have about 10 ingredients listed. 


"Corned" Pork Tenderloin: Squash Dumplings, Caramelized Brussels Sprouts, Rutabaga Puree

After a lengthy perusal of the menu, I decided to get the pork tenderloin.  Part of the reason for my decision was the side dishes- squash dumplings sounded good, and I'm not a fan of brussels sprouts at all, but I figured I could give it a try here.  The pork was tender and not overly salty, which was great in my book.  The squash dumplings were more like gnocchi, pillowy with a nice crust on the outside- these were excellent and probably my favorite part of my dish.  The brussels sprouts were not as offensive as I thought they would be, which probably says a lot because I normally detest them, haha.  They were also crispy and thoughtfully prepared- cooked throughout but still with a little caramelized char on the outside edges of the leaves.

N got the burger and seemed to enjoy it.  The truffle fries, which I have had before, are pretty good here- although I'm not really enough of a truffle connoisseur to know how much the truffle flavor plays into these.  One of the cocktails that she got tasted weirdly of orange juice, when it really wasn't supposed to at all- but they took the drink back and didn't charge for it so it was ok.   

 
Red Velvet Cake + Spiced Pumpkin Cheesecake

We got 2 desserts to share: the Red Velvet Cake and the Spiced Pumpkin Cheesecake.  One great thing about eating with N is that she also likes sweets, plus she also can't pass up pumpkin/fall items either, haha.  The Red Velvet cake was not what I was expecting, visually, but I guess that's because 99% of the time you see it as a slice of tiered red cake with cream cheese frosting.  But this version was super-mega-delicious and I'm glad we ordered it.  I especially liked the contrast of the moist cake with the chocolate pearls scattered on top.  Plus, the shape was great for sharing, haha.  The Spiced Pumpkin Cheesecake was light and creamy.  I can't say it was as awesome as the other cake though, mainly because the base was a carrot cake, and I don't like carrot cake.  It had an interesting design though and I could see why it'd be a popular choice for this time of year- especially if you actually like carrot cake.

Overall, I enjoy going to Firefly and have had good-to-great experiences here.  The service was fine, but got more spotty as the night went on and the restaurant got more crowded.  Like I said before, drinks were a littly pricey in my opinion, but you could always get wine/beer instead if that's an issue.  It's a cozy restaurant that would be cute for a date or a night out with girl friends :-)  

Firefly
1310 New Hampshire Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20036 
202.861.1310; on OpenTable

No comments:

Post a Comment