Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Rice - DC

Two weeks ago, N, her friend S, and I met up at Rice for dinner.  As you can see on the extensive menu, the restaurant is Thai-based but split into 3 sub-sections: Rice Specialty, Authentic Thai, and Healthy Green.  They also had a seasonal menu - which unfortunately for me was about 99% mushroom-based so I didn't really have to ponder over those for too long.  I was a little surprised at the lack of noodle-based dishes they offered for dinner- yes, I realize it's called Rice, but still, it's a Thai restaurant, and I tend to gravitate towards noodle dishes at Thai places.  Well, it was a good chance to make me order something different, haha. 




Appetizer: Spring Roll Rice-Style with Taro, Carrot, Celery

I really enjoyed these spring rolls, from the Healthy Green section.  I'm assuming the "healthy" portion really comes from what's inside these, because they were definitely still fried to a crisp.  They came out hot and crunchy on the outside.  The taro added an interesting texture, and I would definitely order these again. 




Entree: Spicy Duck with Thai Herbs and Crispy Wild Ginger

It took a while for me to decide on my entree, but I'm glad I went with the spicy duck.  I chose this mainly because duck isn't something I would cook at home myself, so I figured I could give it a try here.  The portion was more than ample, especially after the spring rolls and bites of the other appetizers that N and S had ordered.  I know the photo is pretty dark but there was large slices of duck mixed with herbs, really spicy peppercorns, and crispy ginger pieces throughout.  I love spicy foods but I really had to make sure to take out the peppercorns from the dish- it was definitely spicy enough as it was without having to actually eat around those, haha.  I did think the duck was a little too chewy/overcooked, but I feel like duck is something that can v. easily be overcooked, especially with a high-heat stir fry like this dish.     


...with a side of Rice

The entree came with this side of rice, which had some sort of flavoring to it that I couldn't put my finger on.  It was fine- I  mean it's just a plate of rice after all, haha.  It was definitely needed to balance out the sauciness/spicyness of the duck. 

 

<3 Leftovers

I figured this leftovers photo would give you a better idea of what the duck looked like, haha.  This was a wonderful lunch for the next day :o)

I'm glad I tried out this place and had an enjoyable dinner there.  My only issue would be the pricing, but that's because I am probably used to cheaper Thai places out in the suburbs, and not in the middle of DC.  While it's a casual spot, it definitely had a more modern/cozy atmosphere than other Thai restaurants, which also changes the price point in general.  Plus, it's a great option for dinner if you are planning on going to ACKC, right down the street, like we did!


Rice Restaurant
1608 14th Street, NW
Washington, DC 20009
202.234.2400

No comments:

Post a Comment