Friday, February 19, 2010

What to Do With Big-Ass Bread

This is a quick post, since my tips aren't particularly earth-shattering or even original- I just figured that maybe someone could get some use out of a relatively simple idea. 

The other day I wanted to pick up some bread since some friends were coming over.  I was already in Bethesda so I stopped in Le Pain Quotidien.  I thought a whole baguette was too much for three of us, so I asked for a 1/2 loaf of the whole-wheat sourdough, thinking it would be smaller than a whole baguette.  I paid the cashier, and this is what she handed me: 




 

To give you some perspective, here is the megaloaf alongside a Georgetown Cupcake.  This photo doesn't even do it justice though, the bread really was just...massive.  This is a HALF LOAF?  And why didn't the cashier SAY ANYTHING when I had already said that the baguette would be TOO MUCH to begin with?? 

Faced with about 10x more bread than I had intended on purchasing, I cut a few pieces for us to eat that night, and then hacked away at the loaf to managable slices, then wrapped each slice in plastic wrap:

 
Tower o' Carb

I then put the slices into large Ziplock freezer bags and threw the bags into the freezer.  These slices can be left in the freezer for a few weeks+ and still be good as new.  I've always done this with bread in the past to keep bread around longer without it going stale.  When you feel like a piece later on, just take one out of the bag, defrost in room temperature and then toast/just eat as you normally would.  If you're in more of a rush, you can also pop it into the microwave at 10-second intervals until it's fully warmed up.  Like I said, this isn't anything too groundbreaking, but I just thought I'd share in case someone hasn't thought to do this with extra bread they had lying around :o)    

3 comments:

  1. I love that you have the loaf of GIANT bread next to the G-Town cupcake for comparison...of course you had one on hand! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Big-ass is right! Great tip on freezing it.

    Psst...you have mail. ;)

    ReplyDelete