Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Frosting Cupcakery: 'Nilla 'Nilla and Choc-a-lot Cupcakes

I recently trekked up to Frosting Cupcakery on the day of their official "grand opening" on June 5th.  As you might recall I didn't have a great experience with their cupcakes from my first visit, but since I had some stuff to do nearby, I figured I'd give them another try.  It also helped that part of their grand opening was a "Buy one get one free" special, haha.


 

'nilla 'nilla + Choc-a-lot

I picked up two of their classic flavors: 'nilla 'nilla (vanilla bottom with a vanilla buttercream top) and Choc-a-lot (chocolate bottom with a chocolate fudge top).  The 'nilla 'nilla frosting is really really good.  It's that sorta custardy vanilla flavor that I personally enjoy, reminds me of a vanilla Jell-o pudding pop (RIP), super delicious.  The cake was good too, a simple vanilla cake, but honestly- the frosting was the highlight for me.  I really think it's because it reminded me of a Jell-o pudding pop, and I still can't get over the fact that they don't make those anymore............tear.     

I can't really speak to the Choc-a-lot cupcake, because I didn't eat it, haha.  I gave it to M so maybe she can shed some light on that cupcake in the comments section :o)  I will say though that the cupcake looked rich and choco-tastic; however the snow flake fondant topping sort of threw me off... it's June..........??  Haha.  If I'm in the area again (which I will be, there's a fab BCBGMaxAzria AND Whole Foods across the street), I will try out another one of their flavors, preferably with the same pudding pop frosting :o)

7 comments:

  1. Haha! I didn't even think about the snowflake until you mentioned it. The vanilla icing sounds really good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Ilana: Haha, yeah, was a little confused by that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey there you guys - thanks for the blog, we're really glad you liked our 'nilla - so nice we named it twice:) Just a little inside scoop - our signature snowflake lands on our cupcakes because of our name *Frost*ing (and because my wife's family's last name - and part owners - is "Snow"). Take care and try to stay cool - up to 100deg today! Whoa.
    Todd - Frosting

    ReplyDelete
  4. PS - come on in and ask for me and I'll give you another Choc-a-lot on the house since you didn't get one of your own!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Todd: Thank you for reading/commenting! The "snowflake" makes sense now- I guess I didn't look closely enough at any of the other cupcakes to see that some others would have it too, haha. And thank you for offering me another Choc-a-lot, I look forward to trying more of your cupcakes soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really enjoyed the 'nilla 'nilla, too! You're so right that it tastes like Jello pudding - in the good way. Yay to more cupcakes! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. @citygirlblogs: Glad you liked it too!

    ReplyDelete