Friday, January 7, 2011

Japanarama: Milk no Melonpan Cookies



I wasn't really sure what to expect when I picked up this box of Melonpan ("melon bread" in Japanese) at the Japanese grocery store.  I just hadn't seen it before in recent visits and figured it was worth a try.

But first, some background info: Japanese Melonpan is actually not melon-flavored (traditionally, at least), but the way the top is scored, it resembles a melon in appearance.  Taste-wise they're just a plain sweet bread, usually with some sugar coating on top to enhance the melon look, haha. 

Anyway, back to these cookies.  According to the box these are mini-Melonpans with a milk-flavored chocolate filling.  When I opened the bag, all I could smell was an overwhelming artificial vanilla flavor.  I tried a few of these little nuggets and found them to be pretty boring, unfortunately.  It wasn't worth eating the whole box of them (there were about 10 of these in the box) since they weren't that great-tasting.

Clearly I wasn't expecting these cookies to taste exactly like real Melonpan, but I also wasn't expecting to taste so blah either.  Oh well, live and learn.  Maybe if the filling didnt' taste so similar to the outside, it could've turned out better.  Womp wommmmmmmmp.

2 comments: