Wednesday, November 9, 2011

ShopHouse DC

I've been to ShopHouse Southeast Asian Kitchen in DC twice now, and I can't wait to go back again!  The concept is derived from Chipotle, which makes for a streamlined ordering process and the line moves fairly quickly.  The only thing stopping the line somewhat is that the various menu items/toppings are not listed on the overhead board, so if you haven't been before you'll need to ask the person behind the counter what everything is. Hopefully they'll have some signage up or menus that people can peruse while they're waiting in line at some point.   




Here we have my friend B's brown rice bowl with grilled steak, Chinese broccoli, green curry, green papaya slaw, pickles, herb salad, toasted rice, crispy garlic, and crushed peanuts.




And here's my brown rice bowl with pork and chicken meatballs, long beans, spicy red curry, green papaya slaw, herb salad, toasted rice, crispy garlic, and crushed peanuts.

Both bowls were pretty similar so they both tasted great to me, haha.  But I have to say, those meatballs were soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo good.  Crunchy on the outside, super moist on the inside, and really flavorful on their own.


 


On my second visit, I went with a banh mi instead of a bowl.  I got the aforementioned bomb meatballs, green papaya slaw, herb salad, and crushed peanuts.  The bread was great but maybe a touch too thick for me - there were some bites where I got pretty much all bread and no filling.  Once again the meatballs stole the show for me - as much as I'd love to try the other protein options I'm not sure if I'd be able to stray from these on my next visits, haha. 

Overall I think this is a great concept with some fresh, tasty offerings.  At peak times it may be difficult to find a table but it's definitely worth trying out the food here. 


ShopHouse Southeast Asian Kitchen
1516 Connecticut Avenue NW
Washington, DC 
202.232.4141

No comments:

Post a Comment